Toll taxes in Hungary – HU-GO
The electronic, distance-based toll system (DTS) was introduced in 2013 and is operated by HU-GO. The Hungarian toll road network is 6,500 km long including motorways, highways and main routes. Toll is required to be paid by all cargo vehicles with a total gross weight exceeding 3.5 tons. The toll rate is calculated based on the road type, the vehicle category (J2, J3, J4) and the environmental (emission) classification.
OBU Requirement: No. Highly recommended for frequent users to avoid fines.
Toll routes: Motorways, highways and main roads. Map of the toll road network .
How to pay?
The Hungarian road tax can be paid in two ways:
• On-Board unit
Using the on-board unit (OBU) is the simplest, most convenient and safest method of toll declaration and toll payment. The OBU devices installed in the vehicle must be registered with a HU-GO profile only once. From then on, you have to make sure that:
– the unit is always on and working properly;
– the correct information of axles is inserted;
– the HU-GO account has sufficient balance for the specific trip.
Prepayment balance top-up
You can top up your HU-GO balance either at the customer service office by bank card, cash (HUF or EUR), fuel card or in your online profile at the toll operator’s website via bank card.
• Route ticket
Route tickets can be purchased:
– with bank card payment through the HU-GO website;
– with route planning on a kiosk, at fuel stations and customer service of ces by cash, bank card or fuel card payment;
– through the mobile application with bank card payment.
Important: Route tickets are valid only from point A to point B (or additional points added initially).